Monday, July 7, 2008

Pictures from Oregon

This morning Lady Luck and I arrived back in Phoenix. We took a red eye flight that required us to get up at two in the morning, and we arrived at the Portland airport at about three.

Oregon is, according to my calculations, the single coolest state in the union. Needless to say, we were bummed about having to go home.

Anyway, here are some photos from the trip.

Lady Luck and I arrived in Portland on Friday night. We spend the night at the airport Red Lion Inn. We saw a bunny. The next morning we hustled down the I-5 to Crescent City, California. In CC, we found the above crab remnants all over the beach. Apparently, it's that time of year where crabs molt. Ewww.

We spent the night at the Curly Redwood Lodge, which reminded me of my grandparent's basement. In the good way. If you're in the area, and need a place to stay, I'd recommend staying there. While there, I met a couple bikers (on a Ducati and a BMW 1200R) who had ridden all the way from Pennsylvania.

The next day, we got up bright and early and went up to Gold Beach Oregon. We went on Jerry's Rogue River Jets boat tour. Seriously, if you can, take the 100 mile trip. Freakin' amazing and absolutely worth the time and money. Along the way, we saw Sam the Eagle (above) along with some other critters. I also realized, as the other passengers around me screamed every time the ride got interesting, I have a much higher thrill tolerance than I used to. I blame Triumph.

We saw these signs along the coast. What are they trying to explain? Looks to me like, "In case of Tsunami, Superman is getting the fuck out of here!"

This is Haystack Rock. I shouldn't have to explain why this was exciting to see, but just in case you didn't know - they were a significant part of the Goonies mythos.

And if you didn't know, this is the Goonies house. I gather there used to be a sign at the end of the driveway asking Goonies fans to please approach on foot and not be dicks, but the only sign I saw was one reading "Private Driveway." So, I stood at the bottom of the hill (where the RV was parked as the kids rode their bikes away from the house early in the movie) to take this picture.


Hey, is that Irondad and his son Clinton? Why yes, we met at the McMenamins Edgefield pub for lunch. We had some killer burgers, tried some tasty beer and generally had a great time. They're great guys, and I wish we could have gone out riding. Maybe we'll all be able to go out riding when we move up there.

We passed the Dunes on our way up the coast, and had to stop and rent quads for an hour. Riding on the dunes was exciting, and I'd love to spend a whole day out there playing in the sand.

We got breakfast in Yachats (pronounced Yawhots) at Leroy's Blue Whale.

Best. Pancakes. Ever.


We visited the Sea Lion Caves. It wasn't really worth the money, though it did offer some interesting photo opportunities.


THESE GIGANTIC CRABS WILL DEVOUR US ALL!!

This is why I love Portland. Glass of PBR? $1.25.

At the Portland Saturday Market, this living statue graciously let me photograph her before she began her performance. I stopped back a bit later to watch her perform for a minute and give her a tip. There were a couple of kids who were mesmerized by her - it was fun watching their reactions as she changed poses (and gave them a big wink at one point).

0 comments: