Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Why I Didn't Ride To Work Today

So today was Ride to Work day. If you need a reason to get the bike out, it's as good as any.

Although I ride to work as often as I can, I have yet to actually ride to work on "Ride to Work" day.

Lady Luck has been getting after me to go out riding because, frankly, I get grumpy when I've been away from the bike for too long.

I really meant to ride to work today. But then I woke up late, and Lady Luck tempted me with donuts from Rainbow Donuts (the best donut shop we've found in Phoenix). And then blah, blah, blah, I've become everything I hate.

Well, ok, that's not true at all. I'm not riding because I'm carpooling, which is as noble as riding to work, if less thrilling. By carpooling with Lady Luck, we both get to enjoy the carpool lane, as opposed to just me.

On the other hand, I get ornery when I've been away from the bike for too long. And I've been away from the bike for too long. Lady Luck is getting annoyed with me, and mentioned she misses the way I'd come home from work smiling when I rode every day.

To make an awful metaphor, my general mood is like a big rubber ball, and I'm playing an endless game of "keep the ball in the air." I can keep it up so long as I'm paying attention and moving fast, but distractions abound, and before I know it I've dropped the ball and it's rolling away. Now, when I have a positive experience it's like catching the ball and giving it a good hard throw straight up.

Riding is like drop-kicking that sumbitch in low gravity - it takes a long, long time for the ball to come back down.

Anyway, maybe I'll ride to work on the designated day next year.

0 comments: