Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ed Newton, Art Hero


Ed Newton produced most of the best T-shirt, decal and concept art for Roth Studios in the 60's. I took this photo of the original art at the preview for the Brucker auction in May 2006. The detail and line work is unreal. His art is almost too good for t-shirt printing.

I can't tell you how cool it was to see the originals of art, that up to that time, most I'd only seen the size of postage stamps. There were a bunch of others but, because they were roped off, you couldn't get close to many of them. My memory says most sold in the $5k range.

The Master himself, on the left
Photo: Dave Lindsay

That day, I had the extreme pleasure of meeting Ed, talking with him, and hearing him speak of those days.

When I was very young I would look at the ads in hot rod magazines and copy his work thinking Roth did them. A little later I realized Newt did them. I knew back then that this work was in a class of it's own. It is definitely among the most inspiring in my life.

I'll be posting more of Ed 's work.

0 comments: