Friday, January 16, 2009

Electric Motorcycles, wave of the future?

A couple of days ago, I received something in my Email reporting on the status of an engineers dream to build an electric motorcycle that will compete with motorized 2 wheel vehicles in the summer's Isle of Man TT Races Clean Emissions Grand Prix.
“WHAT???” You loudly decry…. “When in the hell did the Isle of Man start holding ‘clean emissions’ races?” What the hell is a clean emissions race? Oh, I’m so glad you asked that, because I still don’t believe what I’ve read and found out through some minor research. It boggles the mind… “Green racing” now. Uh….OK. NOT!!!!!!

Well, for those of you disbelievers check this out.


This bike travels over 150MPH!!!! OK, well…I’m not really as excited and hopped up about it as I’m trying to sound. Here are some of the top reasons why:

1. It just doesn’t sound like a motorcycle. It sounds like one of those toys you get from a fast food place that uses a “zip strip” to wind it up. I’m sorry, I know it took hours and hours of industry on the part of the builder to come up with this…but I love the sound of a fossil fuel engine….not a motor.
2. It just doesn’t sound like a motorcycle….et all.
3. It just doesn’t sound like a motorcycle…

I’m sure you get the point I’m trying to make. Sure, I can be called “self centered” for allowing this type of thought regarding “green” creep into my consciousness, but I don’t give a shit. When it comes to OUR motorcycles, don’t mess with em. You can force me to buy a green car if you’d like Mr. Government Man…but leave my motorcycle alone… you might just as well cut my heart out.

I was trying to be fair, and let the “other” side speak. I zipped off to the “Green” websites, I read their incentive and motivation blogs regarding the subject…but I just can’t seem to find the energy it takes to rewrite the spiel in my own words. I just can’t seem to do it. This idea of taking away my rights to a fossil fueled motorcycle just drains me. So I’m gonna insert a link here for you… http://www.visitbritain.us/things-to-see-and-do/interests/sports/features/isle-of-man.aspx?SE=GGL&CAT=Sports&KEY=isle+of+man+tt+races&MED=IH
you can read for yourself some of the reasons for having a TT race at the Isle of Man this year. You know, I’m not against having the race…I just don’t want the government to get anything into their heads about removing me from my V-Twin engine….or from being able to watch motorbikes from all countries battle it out for this fast and furious road race…Or any kind of race for that matter. I mean how far do they think a Green Motorcycle would get on the Dakar race?
I don’t know, call me a greedy little bitch for wanting my cake…and damn it, I am gonna eat it too…it’s the American way…

0 comments: