Sunday, June 7, 2009

12 Hours, Riding in the Mountains of N.C.

As always, folks... be sure to click on the photos to see them as intended!



View Larger Map

I can't think of a better way to spend the day!
I left around 9:45 on Saturday, June 6th...and my new adventure began. First I stopped at Sycamore Shoals Park for the Native American Weekend celebration going on there. It opened at 10 AM. I arrived as they started receiving people for admission. Just before arriving at the reconstructed colonial fort, a table is set with two people to collect the $4.00 admission fee. I could have just circled the fort and come in the back way for free...but why? It was not expensive...I could manage...I have (had) $40.00 for my travel budget this week...and while that's not a landfall of money...it's enough.



I've paid my dues and the first tent I come upon a group of stone knappers. Using tools from the Ancients, these guys were in the process of shaping knives, spear heads and scraping tools. Check out these guys!



From stone Knapping Ride


A completed Spear Head



There were many exhibition tables, but I'm only going to show you the things that didn't remind me of "TOURIST TRADE ITEMS" Per say... The rest is art in my opinion.

Native American Woodcarving:















There were people in authentic dress





And a cool display of "waupum".... this guy covered the American Indian Currency from the earliest known times...pretty intresting to me.





I stayed for the Native Flute playing...then climbed on my gal and headed for the Covered Bridge Days in downtown Elizabethton TN.







There was plenty to see with the celebration of our Covered Bride Days... they closed down old Downtown



And had a party...



But leaveing there was easy...I had a nice long ride ahead of me. Heading out on SR 19E past Roan Mountain...into North Carolina...I make several road changes until I find myself on SR 181 South... It's here at Jonahs Ridge I get on the Blue Ridge Highway...heading north. First stop... Linville Falls Campground... I take the "easy trail" to the falls. This is the trail the Moms and Dads with small kids take. I have found, I'm much too friendly with my couch lately. This was a tough trail...I rested often.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Linville Falls:









Leaving the Falls...still heading North on the Blue Ridge...Horses...



Did someone say STEER?



And a Grandview:



Historic MT. Jefferson:



Tom Dooley was buried somewhere here off of Mountain View Road...damn if I know where I was though....



My girl posing with Tom Dooley.



Fueling up...




I came across so many of these old pumps...most of the pictures didn't come out well...I'm going back to do a "Gas pump" Pictorial....so cool!



I just liked this old building...

I'm outta here kids...
Let me know if you enjoyed the ride...

Oh and before I forget... Do not take NC 90. It's a really cool road, I loved it...right until the paved road ended...and went to graded... I checked the map, saw I could go to Blowing Rock on the graded road...and thought "What the heck?" Well I'll tell you what the heck... you get a half mile up that grade...and it turns into almost straight up...with gullies... and four wheeled traffic zooming at ya from everywhere... my wheels were sliding about...and I could only go 6 MPH... My butt was tired of playing sucker fish to the saddle... I turned around and found another way... Adako Road to NC 181... man oh man... my ass hurt when it realized it could let go of the saddle....

0 comments: