Saturday, September 12, 2009

NEWS UPDATE>>>SHE"S BEING REPAIRED< BUT AT WHAT COST?

NEWS UPDATE
The oil tank has been repaired. They are installing oil lines as I type this. Bad news though. In the process of re-routing the lines, they found the belt drive sprocket for the final drive to be almost toothless. I 've been so proud of that belt drive, about 160K on it and no problems....damn it, always happens with these older bikes.

Open em up, you open up a can of worms.  NEW SPROCKET: $250.00.  Sigh...OK replace please.
Still no concrete answer to my noise problem in the engine.  Is it a collapsed lifter or or pushrod?  They haven't gone there yet...but suspect it is from the initial diagnostics they have done. Nothing further until they tear down the heads....

Yes...I want you to know, I HAVE been kicking my ass...I knew I shouldn't have left the shop with the bike. No excuses will do. An explanation of my thoughts will be helpful though.  I don't have a car.  My Mom can't drive to the shop to pick me up, she would get very lost getting here, if not in an accident.

My MR. is the GM of a fast food business.  He works with idiots, can't leave until a less incompetent idiot comes in at end of day shift....I would have been left waiting at the shop for almost 5 hours.  Well now, of course I see the benefits of sitting around bored out of my skull waiting for my MR. to get off work...but think of all the great adventures I would have missed out on?....Yeah I know...I'm delusional.   


My Sportster has over 150K. It's a 1993 XLH 1200. I bought it in 2004 with 1200 miles on it.
You can read...I've put a lot of miles on this bike. Over the last few years, I've had a new top end (jugs, pistons, rings, ect)....but that's really about it. The clutch needs freshening, but I guess that will wait once more...you see...I've now got some new problems....

1. The bracket that holds the oil tank to the frame broke. Oil leaking all over because of it.
2. The front sprocket on the final drive belt is almost toothless. Discovery when mech. was routing the oil lines again for the re-welded tank.
3. Now there is a hell of a racket in the engine. We feel the problem is a collapsed lifter or push-rod....


Now...how many of you have ever experienced the bracket breaking on you oil tank? My guy says it's not uncommon... I've been around HD for 40 years... rode hard tail pans... and shovels for most of those years. I've worked in HD shops as service writer for several years...and still have never heard of it. I mean, the first thing the service manger did was go and lift up my oil tank when I told where it appeared the oil was leaking from. He was not at all surprised...so I guess he's not exaggerating.... I just want to know...how many others have had this problem?

0 comments: