Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Weekend Full of Building Stuff

This past weekend, I attended a forge-building workshop at the Mesa Community Arts Center. It was most righteous. It took about a day and a half to build the forges. I think it could be an quick, one-afternoon job if you have the right tools and are just working on your own.

We built a forge for each of us, and one for the art center. They've got a pretty sweet workspace for blacksmithing. I expect they'll probably get more people interested in taking the classes when it isn't 105 degrees outside...

I learned a bunch of new stuff, including how to tap a hole (wow, was that easy...) and how to forge a bottle opener. Somehow, I forgot to take a picture of the bottle opener, but I do have a picture of my shiny new forge. I have, for reasons I think are obvious, decided to name it Dante.


Now I just need to rustle up a stand for it, and some kind of large piece of anvil-like metal to beat on, and I'll be set!

0 comments: