Thursday, July 22, 2010

FIXING MY JIFFY STAND AND A RIDE WITHOUT SPARKS

Today I had my jiffy stand repaired. Again. My motorcycle has about 180K on it these days. Loads of miles for a Sportster. Ever since 2005, I've had problems with my jiffy stand. I worked for Glendale Harley Davidson as a service writer. They couldn't figure out what was wrong. Everything the guys did...didn't fix a darn thing.


IMAGE TITLE: THE INFAMOUS "BEFORE" SHOT

I finally took the bike to an Indie shop. There he discovered the hole in peg where the pin was inserted was walled out. We discussed a few options...actually there were no options. Welding the walled section was the only true fix. He did fix it. He put a weld and filled up the part that was walled out. The fix worked for a few years, but as before, it's dropped down again and it's wearing out bushings like crazy.


IMAGE CAPTION: SIDE BY SIDE

The welder wasn't at my shop today, so for now I went with inserting a new brass bushing. I have a wonderful technician at the shop I frequent, his name is Shannon. He puts up with me observing and shooting over his shoulder. I also ask him to talk to me as he's working...I like knowing what's going on in his head.

In this next shot, you can observe the pin and the bracket that is the culprit to my perplexing and annoying problem.

IMAGE CAPTION: PIN AND BRACKET


IMAGE CAPTION:PULLING THE COTTER PIN


Shannon and I discussed the problem for a few minutes. He adjusted the pin and bushing until it held the stand up...better!

IMAGE CAPTION: THE FINISHED PRODUCT, IT WILL LAST ABOUT A YEAR


I went to the parts department and paid my bill. This is the cheapest I've ever left this shop. The charge was $15.00. Which made me happy! I cranked the bike, left the shop onto SR11E North toward Bristol. I didn't have a plan, but I knew I didn't want to go to Bristol. I headed toward Piney Flats. There is one road I haven't explored yet, so I thought since they were so proud of their "HISTORIC DISTRICT", I would see what was hidden in Piney Flats, Tennessee.

IMAGE CAPTION: GENERAL STORE, PINEY FLATS


This "GENERAL STORE" isn't open. It looks to have been moved there, but I'm not sure. Across the street was a closed up garage. It appeared to be built around the same era of the general store. Then I noticed this wonderful large old building. You will enjoy these shots. This was a factory that in it's day, built church furniture.

IMAGE CAPTION: WONDERFUL OLD FURNITURE FACTORY


IMAGE CAPTION: WOLF BROS. AND CO.


IMAGE CAPTION: SIDE VIEW, WOLF FACTORY


It was such a hot day today. I rarely will ride without long sleeves and today was no exception. I got back on the bike and headed north. I couldn't believe my luck as I came upon this train "resting" here at this crossing. It was up a hill on a private road, but I don't think anyone would of minded. All I wanted was to get a few shots of the train. You know how much I like trains right?

IMAGE CAPTION: RAIL ROAD CROSSING


IMAGE CAPTION: YEAH, IT'S A CHOO CHOO


I eventually found my way to Stony Creek. I turned my wheels right on Blue Springs Road, which soon changed to Iron Bridge Road. This is the road on an earlier posting I had taken pictures of the OLD IRON BRIDGE being torn down. It's a great road if I continue straight toward Wilber Dam. Just before entering TVA property and the dam, you come across this little country store: Misty Waters. I stopped for a bottle of water. I ended up eating a chili dog and drinking a very sweet soda pop. The company of the proprietor was excellent. He gave me riding suggestions to another steel bridge around here. I've been there, and I have promised my Mom to bring her there. It's an excellent ride. But for now, this little country store gave me some great photos.

IMAGE CAPTION: LUNCH?


IMAGE CAPTION: VIEW FROM NEXT DOOR MISTY WATERS GENERAL STORE


The gentleman running the store informed me that the building next to his store was the old depot for the railway that ONCE ran through here. It's been turned into a cow shed now.

IMAGE CAPTION: RAILWAY STATION TURNED INTO A COW SHED


I'm moseying along right up to WILBER DAM. I stopped for a few shots.

IMAGE CAPTION: WILBER DAM


I'm tired, at this point I discover it's 4PM. I have to go home. It's dinner time.
I'm going to ride again tomorrow...I hope it's as good as this one...

0 comments: