Thursday, September 30, 2010

Riding with Spyders on the Blue Ridge

For this ride, I contacted a guy I had befriended on FaceBook;  Kurt Bihler.  I had been following his posts with continuing interest.  He is from IL., rides a Spyder, and is not afraid of high mileage rides.  Kurt is riding the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I've wanted to ride with him for a while now. Last year he rode the Natchez Trace and posted the photos.  The Trace is one of my dream rides

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
IMAGE CAPTION: KURT BIHLER AND HIS HIGH MILEAGE SPYDER

After a few back and forth emails, we figured out where and when to meet.  Kurt was staying in Boone NC for the night.  He said he wouldn't mind waiting on me to get to his hotel.  I arrived about 9:30 AM on Saturday morning.  Kurt and I sat in the breakfast room, he had a bite to eat while I drank some coffee.  Then we were off and running to the bikes.  Kurt rides a Spyder Sport model.  I admire those bikes.  They appear like the way to go especially when I become more aged.  If my balance or my strength subside, these Spyders would be great way for me to continue to travel.

Kurt and I rode down and got on the Blue Ridge Parkway an exit south of Boone.  From there Kurt and I enjoyed the sights and the roads of the Parkway proper. Kurt and I rolled from here all the way south to the end of the Parkway and found ourselves in Cherokee NC.  The following is simply a photo play of our little adventure! Enjoy!


IMAGE CAPTION: PINK BEDS OVERLOOK BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY

Kurt's Spyder and my Lil Girl
Kurt's Spyder and my Lil Girl

The ride was pretty much uneventful during the 1st 2/3rds of the ride.  BUT as we moved closer to Cherokee, the clouds came closer to the ground.  We were starting to feel the specks of moisture spit at us and I kept watching the sky.  I knew I would have to put my camera away at some point, but for now...I was gonna grab what I could!

Rain Clouds of the Blue Ridge.
IMAGE CAPTION: RAIN CLOUDS OF THE BLUE RIDGE

GLASSMINE FALLS. BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY
IMAGE CAPTION: GLASSMINE FALLS, BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY

We stopped here at Glassmine Falls, hoping to catch a glimpse of the tallest water fall east of the Mississippi River.  Unfortunately, the water source for these falls frequently dry up, as was the case during our visit.  The water wasn't flowing, but the view is magnificent all the same. I've read, at the base of the falls was an old mine where the mineral "Mica" was brought to the surface.  The mine is gone now, but because of the Mica's use in glass making, this is how the falls received it's name.  Access to the falls is restricted to a viewing platform at mile marker 361.2 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, because the falls is part of the watershed for the City of Asheville, NC.

View from Glassmine Falls overlook.
IMAGE TITLE: VIEW FROM GLASSMINE FALLS OVER LOOK

my Lil Girl and the Spyder...enjoying the view.
IMAGE TITLE: MY LITTLE GIRL AND THE SPYDER ENJOYING THE VIEW

Linn Cove Viaduct, Milepost 304.4: This masterpiece of engineering was constructed to preserve Grandfather Mountain, as the viaduct curves with the contours of the mountain. Drive across it and turn around to do it again. Stop at the Visitor Center and walk under this marvel.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
IMAGE CAPTION: KURT AHEAD OF ME. GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN ON THE UPPER LEFT OF SPYDER

Soon we were heading down mountain into Asheville. Good thing too. Don't forget, I have a 2 gallon tank. By the time we stopped for gas at exit 305 in Asheville: I had 100 miles on my tank.  I filled up with 1.98 gallons.  FUMES....That's all I had left was fumes!  After fueling, Kurt and I stopped for lunch at a very nice establishment whose Greek Cuisine was very good. I lived a couple of years in Greece, this was better than any street vendors food. OH SO GOOD!  Thank you Kurt for the meal!

Souvlaki and Greek Salad YUMMY
IMAGE CAPTION: SOUVLAKI AND GREEK SALAD

Because of the monstrous rain Kurt and I encountered coming over Pisgah Mountain...I had to put my camera away.  I'm telling you, we had lighting strikes to the right of us, not more than a few hundred feet away. No where to go, but to continue on. It was an excellent ride. I believe I might go north next time, up into VA. I haven't been that way because they had so much of the Blue Ridge Closed north of Boone for so long. I understand it's all open now.

0 comments: