Saturday, October 9, 2010

Little Switzerland and motorcycles

I've put in another ride. I rode up over the mountain, Roan Mountain.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image caption: View from Roan Mountain.

Once down into North Carolina, I get on NC-226 south and ride into Little Switzerland.  I've never been here before and didn't know what to expect. I actually THOUGHT I would find something that could be called a town. I was wrong. It's a post office, a few resort lodges, a restaurant with a book store thrown in for good measure. All on a mountain top.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image caption: Little Switzerland shopping and restaurant 

I stopped, thinking I would see what the buzz was all about here. There were about 40 motorcycles parked on the side of the road, in the post office parking lot across the street and filled their own parking lot.  Well damn it, this place is OK, the food smelled good, but I don't care to sit outside watching traffic as I wait for my name to be called for a table.  Oh, by the way...there is an exit for the Blue Ridge just before you find the restaurant. All these people came off the Blue Ridge. The fall colors are here, and so are the riders and drivers. OI.

I also noticed my first woolly worm of the year here...I'll bet people in the restaurant thought I was nuts to get on my stomach to catch this little guys photo. I don't care...never did, never will.  

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image caption: Wooly Worm

I also realized I was on NC-226-A, not on NC-226 proper.  I turned around and headed for NC-226. A great ride down the mountain side!  I took a few photos as I was riding down, but they didn't come out. It was a frantic kind of ride...there was a lot of construction. I was actually glad when the trip down the mountain was done. But then...I came upon this....

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image Caption: SMOKING GUN

This is a slow cooker/smoker/BBQ'er.....see the smoke coming out of the barrel of the gun? I had to make a big U-TURN when I saw this.

I was on my way home, speeding like crazy on NC-108 when this guy pulled out in front of me. Slowed me down to 45 from 65 in a 50.  So I took his photo once I got my bike to settle into the slow pace. I was late getting home.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image caption: Slow Poke on 108

So...I guess I'll share this last photo with y'all ...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image Caption: Chessie on Roan Mountain.

0 comments: