Friday, April 20, 2012

KaffeeMaschine 5 Moto Guzzi

.



I would like to dedicate this post to my friend Thierry who entered today the powerful world of Moto-Guzzi. I wish you a lot of pleasure with your new horse.


Text by Axel Budde

I built the bike for Thomas Gruner, who had bought a ´89 Moto Guzzi Le Mans 4 in pieces a couple of years ago and didn´t really know what he had bought and how to put it back together again.
He asked me to build a custom cafe racer from his bits and pieces.

I was struggeling a lot with the totally crappy inside of his engine and some parts, it was obvious that he bought a disassembled bike which has had an accident incl. an engine damage. He immediately fell in love with the tank lying around in my workshop (though not really ideal for the high neck of the late Le Mans frame), which became his only definite wish for the bike.
Except for the tank, I built all alloy parts on the bike by hand, as usual. The engine and transmission got a total revision and now have brandnew stock Le Mans 1000 specs (950ccm, 81hp).
Even with the original power, the Guzzi is performing great after the 183kg "diet" (the stock LM 1000 is around 240kg...)- only the frame loses 3,5kg of steel.
The modified fork is of a California with special stainless steel discs. Brakes are equipped with modern calipers and a momentum support on the rear. Exhaust is Lafranconi, shocks are Ikon, the rev counter is from MMB. The minimal wiring harness is built by myself.

I think Thomas is not the guy who´d fit a totally classic motorcycle (in his case, that´s meant as a compliment). I chose the seat shape and the type of paint because of the impression I had of him- so I wanted it classic and elegant, but a bit of hot rod, too- away from the iconic italian racer.



Please visit Axel Website













.

0 comments: